Lettering for 1937 AAR design 10’-0” IH boxcars as-delivered scheme
Between June 1940 and June 1941, the P&LE received 1,900 boxcars of the new 1937 AAR design with 5/5 DN ends, as follows:
Series 30000-30499, Lot 682-B, 500 cars, Pressed Steel Car Company, Lot 119, delivered July 1940
Series 30500-30999, Lot 683-B 500 cars, Pullman-Standard Car Company, Lot 5625, delivered June 1940
Series 35000-35899, Lot 697-B 900 cars, Pressed Steel Car Company, delivered June 1941
Model by Protocraft: PC-3524 - due mid-2016
Note: The P&LE ran between Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania and Youngstown, Ohio, a short run but carried heavy tonnage to the steel mills. It was formed in 1877
and became part of the NYC in 1887. The road did not actually reach Lake Erie until becoming a part of Conrail in 1976.
Decal set designed and created at Protocraft Decals
Paint & Lettering: Sides, roof and ends painted NYC red-brown: TCP-923* Underbody and truck side frames coated with black car cement.
Wheels unpainted and allowed to rust and gather a coating of road grime.
Note: The NYC employed the oval medallion in Roman lettering (dimensions for boxcars and autocars were 48-3/8” x 32-1/2”) with a black background prior to November of 1935 with the word “LINES”. After November 1935, the word “SYSTEM” replaced “LINES” in the oval with a black background. Starting in March 1944 and through 1955, the black background was removed with the car’s color showing through. Beginning in October 1955, the new Gothic style lettering was introduced and the black background was reinstated. This new medallion had increased dimensions of 54-3/8” x 37-3/4”. See decal set P&LE-3a. (in May 1959, the ‘cigar band’ style was introduced.)
* TCP-901-929 are Protocraft Decals propietory colors mixed by TCP under the direction of Ed Hawkins and available at Protocraft
Background color shown above is not included in decal sheet