Early scheme for COSX’s Type 21 tank cars
The Cosden Oil & Gas Company was started by Josh Cosden of Tulsa, Oklahoma in 1916. Cosden is credited with establishing Oklahoma as a major oil producing state, building a $35 million dollar oil business within the first 10 years. The Mid-Continent Oil Field in which all this was located was part of a broad area encompassing the central and southwestern United States, and until the discovery of oil in the Middle East, was the largest known oil reserve in the world. Cosden organized all his enterprises under one umbrella as the Mid-Continent Petroleum Corp. Acquired or merged with Sun Oils in 1955 to form D-X Sunray, Sunray D-X and Sunray Mid-Continent Oil Company. D-X was a brand of Mid-Continent’s “Diamond” and Sonoco gas stations. D-X was introduced in 1933, suggesting an “X” factor or unknown substance that made it’s gasoline superior to others. Stations sold motor oil, kerosene, Diamond gasoline, and an anti-knock compound “Nevr-Nox as a competitor to Ethyl. In 1935, Mid-Continent owned 2,232 tank cars.
A total of 78 tank cars were built by AC&F for Cosden between 1919 and 1927, and Classed ARA III, Type 21. COSX 2954 was one of 8 cars of Lot 475, Series 2950-2957, built 6-27 . COSX 2904 is one of 7 cars built in August 1926 under Lot 266 Series 2900-2907
Paint & Lettering: Car painted all black; lettering all white lead stencil paste.
Decal set designed and created at Protocraft Decals
Background color shown above is not included in decal sheet