lettering set for Spencer’s 10,000 and 11,000 gallon tank cars
Kenneth Spencer of Pittsburg, Kansas, at the time a surface coal producer, was sprung into a large business concern with the needs and assistance of the War Department in 1941, and shortly became the world’s largest producer of weapons grade ammonia nitrate under the name of Jayhawk Ordnance Works. During that period in 1944, Kenneth Spencer set up MRIGLobal Institute to nd peaceful uses of ammonia nitrate as fertilizer, and in 1949 formed Spencer Chemical Company. In 1960, upon his death, the widow of Kenneth sold the company to Gulf Oil, and around 1970, the Spencer name dissapeared.
Spencer Chemical owned a few tank cars under it’s reporting marks S.C.J.X., but most were leased from both builders Continental Tank Car Co (RTCX 5351-5400) and General American Transportation Corp (GATX 36170 and 67700 Series). In 1948, Spencer’s owned tank car roster included 20 11,000 Class 105A300W insulated tank cars, as Series 8680-8699, and 40 uninsulated 10,000 gallon Class 103 as Series 9060-9099. By 1958, only the 20 Class 105A cars remained.
Paint & Lettering: The majority of Spencer’s owned and leased tank cars were painted all black with white stencil paste lettering and it’s very noticable red and white medallion. The medallions were dierent and the modeler should refer to a specic in-service photographs as to its application and placement.
Decal set designed and created at Protocraft Decals
O scale models for the11,000 Class 105A300W insulated tank cars are PSC #15903, and KTM #305
Background color shown above is not included in decal sheet