lettering for 1926 8'-6" IH steel boxcars
The Peoria & Eastern Railway was incorporated in 1890 and ran between Pekin, Illinois and Indianapolis, Indiana. On the same day of incorporation, the road was leased to the Big Four (CCC&StL), and later became a wholly-owned subsidiary of the NYC.
The P&E received it’s rst USRA all steel design, 8’-7” IH boxcars in April 1926. Built by AC&F under Lot 100 (NYC Lot 531-B), Series 3500-3599,
and September 1927, AC&F Lot 494 (NYC Lot 560-B), Series 3600-3649. These cars were built with 8-panel riveted sides and had an inside
height of 8’-6”. (Note: NYC’s standard car of this design came with 10-panel riveted sides with an inside height of 8’-7”)
The P&E received an additional 417 cars from parent NYC in 1940, rebuilt from NYC’s Series 111000-111999, and assigned P&E Series 3700-
4116 (NYC Lot 491-B.) Tracking these cars during their lifetime within the NYC system is almost impossible with so many renumbered and
Paint & Lettering: Painted all NYC boxcar dark red - use TCP-921 with TCP-179 gray to replicate oxidation. Underbody coated with black car
cement. Lettering and medallion white stencil paste.
Lettering and artwork designed and created at Protocraft Decals
Background color shown above is not included in decal sheet